Light, aerated chocolate mousse with the pure flavour of smooth chocolate. A classic, rich dessert to add to your repertoire which is easier than you’d expect, using only a few ingredients and prepared in just 15 minutes. Cream and egg whites are vigorously whipped to form light bubbles which melt as soon as they make contact with your tongue, the star of the dish is the chocolate so use the best quality that is available to you. Garnish the dessert with grated chocolate, desiccated coconut or fresh berries, for an adult version add a splash of ameretto or brandy when melting the chocolate. This recipe is irresistible and incredibly simple, you have to try it for yourself by following our guide below.
- 1 ¼ cups heavy cream
- 1 cup dark chocolate, plus extra for decorating
- 1 egg white
- ¼ cup sugar
- Glass bowl
- Mixing bowl
- Whisk / Electric whisk
Chocolate Mousse Instructions:
- Place a saucepan on low heat and add the heavy cream.
- Into a glass bowl add the dark chocolate, break into small pieces.
- Warm the cream to a simmer then pour over the chocolate.
- Allow the chocolate to melt in the warm cream for 2 minutes, fold together with a spatula to ensure all of the chocolate has melted.
- Use a whisk to whip the chocolate cream into soft peaks.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg white until stiff peaks then gradually pour in the sugar, continue to whisk.
- Once all of the sugar has been incorporated, fold the egg whites into the bowl of whipped chocolate.
- Use a figure of eight motion to evenly combine the mixtures without knocking out the air.
- Fill four glasses with the chocolate mousse, serve immediately or refrigerate for up to two days.
- Garnish with extra grated chocolate over the chocolate mousse before serving.