How to make homemade Macaroni and Cheese
A marriage of cheese and pasta, often the simplest dishes are the best and mac and cheese is certainly the perfect example of this. Our recipe elevates the classic comfort food beginning with a thick bechamel which will encase the pasta as it cooks. The sauce is packed with layers of flavour from three strong varieties of cheese, a kick of mustard and a little spice of black peppercorn. Truly the ultimate macaroni and cheese, try it for yourself by following our recipe below.
Saucepan x 2
9”x13” baking dish
Preparation 20 minutes
Cooking 1 hour
Total 1 hour 20 minutes
Macaroni and Cheese Ingredients:
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- ½ cup Gruyere cheese, grated
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 lb macaroni pasta
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- Preheat an oven to 375F.
- Place a large saucepan on medium heat and add the butter.
- Melt the butter then stir in the flour, whisk for 2 minutes to cook out the flour.
- Gradually pour the milk into the saucepan, continuing to whisk to form a thick, smooth bechamel sauce.
- In a mixing bowl add the Gruyere cheese, cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, Dijon mustard and ½ cup parmesan, pour the saucepan of bechamel sauce into the mixing bowl and fold together to melt the cheese.
- Fill a separate saucepan with water, season with salt and place on a high heat.
- Bring the water to a boil and cook the pasta for 6 minutes until al dente.
- Transfer the cooked pasta into the cheese sauce, mix to combine.
- Then add the macaroni and cheese to a baking dish, top with the remaining grated parmesan.
- Place the baking dish in the preheated oven for 35 minutes until golden brown and bubbling.
- Allow the mac and cheese to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Servings: 6-8 portions